Saturday, November 22, 2008

The Common App Guide - Writing | Additional Information

"Include any additional information that you would like to provide."
Here are a few suggestions for some ideas to include. Try to integrate them into an essay format instead of just listing items.

I also had a lot of trouble with this section: "what else do you want colleges to know about me." Basically, I tried to include all major activities that I did not mention in my application (which is hard, because you try to mention everything), and then related them to personal character traits. For example, I mentioned all the leadership positions I held that I didn't say on my application and wrote about how I developed great leadership skills from these activities.

Another idea is to talk about some extraordinary feat you've accomplished. For example, I'm in a rock band and we were featured in a commercial that aired on primetime TV, so I included that in this part for some applications. Colleges like to see that you are a diversified individual who will play a role in their community and contribute not only grades, but also personality.

If you've had any major setbacks in life, reasons for performing poorly at one point in time, or maybe a turnaround in your work ethic, you should also include that here.

The best advice for this section is this (I had to ask some of my friends what they did here):
All over your application, you can only list your best honors, your most noteworthy activities, your work experience, etc. However, there are very few places to relay the significance of these activities to you. During the past four years of high school, you have been growing as an individual as a result of everything in which you participated. Here is an opportunity to show how your activities and accomplishments have helped you develop your character. In this section, you can talk about the significance of your activities, distinctions, accomplishments, or even upsets, to you.

Back to The College Guide - Admissions Advice

No comments:

Post a Comment